ESC 2012

ESC 2012

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Norway 2012 Overview/rules for my MGP 2012

 
Following a terribly disappointing and completely undeserved result in last years ESC (“Haba, Haba” is 100% my favorite song of ESC 2011 and just completely brilliant), Norway decided to chalk it up to the “Curse Of Last Years Host” (a huge part of ESC myth and legend, basically it says that the Nation that hosted the previous years ESC will ALWAYS do terribly…and it’s kinda true.)

Anywho, Norway went right on its merry way and held its NF (Melodi Grand Prix). Every year since NRK (the Norwegian Broadcaster tasked with selecting the Norwegian ESC entry) introduced the Semi Final system in 2006, it has over gone changes, which frankly, bring it closer and closer to Melodifestivalen each year! This year was no exception. This year, instead of the traditional 21 songs (as seen in MGP 2009, 2010 and 2011), NRK selected 24 Songs to compete. The 24 songs were divided into 3 Semi Finals of 8 Songs each. In each Semi Final, a Televote will select the 3 Advancing Songs. After the 3 Semi Finals, an "Expert" Jury will select 1 Wild Card.

Here are the 24 Songs taking part in MGP 2012 –

Title
Translation
Artist(s)
Elevator

Irresistable
Så Vidunderleg
So Wonderful
Kim André Rysstad
High On Love

Reidun Sæther
You Break It, You Own It

Rudi Myntevik
With Love

Lisa Stokke
Little Bobbi

United
Somewhere Beautiful

Nora Foss Al – Jabri
Don’t Touch The Flame

The Carburetors
Keeps On Dancing

Cocktail Slippers
I’ve Got You

Isabel Ødegård
Make It Better

Tommy Fredvang
Another Heartache

Rikke Lie
Crush

Malin
Ola Nordmann

Plumbo
You And I

Minnie – Oh
Shapeshifter

Rikke Normann
Stay

Tooji
Si
Say
Marthe Valle
Things Change

Petter Øien
Sammen
Together
Yaseen And Julie Maria
The Greatest Day

Håvard Lothe Band
Euphoria

Silya Nymoen
Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

The Canoes
Sailors

Lise Karlsnes

Unlike in previous years, this years MGP had very few returning artists. The only returning artists were –

·      One of the members of “United” is Benedicte Adrian who represented Norway in ESC 1984 as part of the duo “Dollie De Luxe”, who also came 6th in the 1981 Norwegian Final and 10th in 1982 (as “Dollie”).
·      Rikke Normann took part in the 2011 Norwegian Final (as part of the duo “Åste And Rikke”).
·      Petter Øien came 4th in the 2011 Norwegian Final (as the lead singer of the group “Sie Gubba”).


My Contest –

To select my winner, I ran 2 "Contests".

In the First Contest, I used the MGP format of the last couple of years, with a few tweaks. First, I divided the 24 Songs into 3 Semi Finals. I copied their SF order/songs. In each SF, I held 2 Rounds of “Televoting”. In the First Round, I awarded “Televotes” to select my top 5 Songs. In the Second Round, I awarded “Televotes” to select my 2 Finalists and 2 Second Chance Songs. In the Second Chance Round, I selected my two Finalists through 2 Rounds of Televoting. In the First Round, I divided the 8 Songs into 4 Matches and awarded "Televotes" to select the advancing song from each Match. In the Second Round, I divided the 4 Songs into 2 Matches and awarded "Televotes" to select the advancing song from each Match. In the Final, I selected my winner through 2 Rounds of Voting. In the First Round, I awarded 4 Sets of Points to select my top 4 Songs. In the Second Round, I awarded "Televotes" to select my winner.

I decided to save the Second Contest for after i've listened to, danced to, loved the songs for a few weeks.

In the Second Contest, I used this years MGP Format. I followed the MGP format of dividing the 24 songs into 3 Semi Finals. In each Semi Final, I awarded "Televotes" to select the 3 Finalists. Then, I selected 1 Wild Card. More to come...

So let’s Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment