ESC 2012

ESC 2012

Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Predicitions For The Second Latvian Semi Final Plus Updated My Contest For The Second Latvian SF


The Second Latvian Semi Final will take place on January 14th at the Juras Varti Theatre Hourse In Ventspils, Latvia. 10 Songs will compete for 5 Spots in the Final. In this Semi Final, an "Expert" Jury and a Televote will each rank the 10 songs and the Top 3 songs chosen by Televoting and the two highest ranked non - qualifying Jury songs will advance to the Final. In the Final, the Winner will be selected through 2 Rounds of Voting. In the First Round, an "Expert" Jury and a Televote will select the top 3 Songs and in the Second Round, a Televote will select the Song that will fly the Latvian flag at ESC 2012.

Songs –
Number
Title
Artist(s)
01.
Sweet For Me
Miks Dukurs And NBC
02.
Better World
Valters Gleške And Lība Ēce
03.
Get Started
The 4
04.
Beautiful Song
Anmary
05.
Wanna Be With You
Paul Swan
06.
She’s A Queen
Roberts Petersons
07.
For Father
Samanta Tina
08.
You Are A Star
Elizabete Zagorska
09.
Music Thief
Mad Show Boys
10.
Stars Are My Family
Trianas Parks

The Second Semi Final also had a few Eirodziesma Alum competing.  Miks Dukurs took part in the 2008 and 2009 Latvian Semi Finals and came equal 4th in the 2011 Latvian Final in the group "D - Family" (my personal favorites". Lība Ēce was a backing singer for Latvia at ESC 2011. Elizabete Zagorska came 10th at the 2008 Latvian Final. One of the members of the group "Mad Show Boys" is Aldis Zaluksnis who took part in the 2011 Latvian Semi Finals as a member of the group "Crazy Dolls". Trianas Parks came 4th at the 2008 Latvian Final, equal 4th in the 2009 and the 2010 Latvian Finals and took part in the 2011 Latvian Semi Finals.

My initial favorites were "Get It Started', "You Are A Star" and "Stars Are My Family". Once again, i was extremely impressed by the number of strong songs in this Semi Final. I think the songs with the best chances of advancing (although not necessarily my personal favorites) are "Stars Are My Family", "You Are A Star", "Get It Started", "Sweet For Me" and "Better World".

Comments –
“Sweet For Me” – I enjoy this song. It’s has a nice, simple, sincere quality about it to which I really respond. I think the rap part in the middle is a nice modern touch. 6 Points out of 10.
“Better World” – The male singers voice really bugs me but I really like the female singer. That being said, this song is quite slow and boring. 2 Points out of 10.
“Get It Started” – A nice, up tempo number. It’s really fun and cool. I really enjoy it. It’s very modern, if a little repetitive. 7 Points out of 10.
“Beautiful Song” – I really love this song. I can’t really put my finger on why I enjoy it so much. It’s a cool, mid tempo ballad but it has a great build and this cool, almost Celtic, vibe. I think it’s awesome and I like it more and more with every listen. 9 Points out of 10.
“Wanna Be With You” – This song is kind of a cool, up tempo rock song. I like it, but I think it’s kinda forgettable. A nice song though. 6 Points out of 10.
“She’s A Queen” – Another modern, up tempo Rock song. This song has a bit more power and build behind it than “Wanna Be With You”, but that might either help or hurt it depending on how the voters are feeling that evening. 6 Points out of 10.
“For Father” – This is a nice, strong power ballad. Initially, I didn’t really care for it, but after a few listens, I’m really starting to dig it. There’s just something dark and powerful about it. 7 Points out of 10.
“You Are A Star” – Initially, this high energy, ethnicish dance number was one of my favorites of the whole selection. It’s very fast paced, with lots of “Noise”, and if it plays it’s cards right, could do quite well in the Latvian selection, if it manages to enchant the Televoters. That being said, after a few listens, its magic has begun to fade on me…8 Points out of 10. 
“Music Thief” – This song is a somewhat “Novelty” entry. It’s pretty quirky and unique and has just the right amount of silliness. I don’t know whether it will enchant the Latvians enough to get it into the final, but it’s not a bad little number. 6 Points out of 10.
“Stars Are My Family” – This is it! This song is def. one of my favorites and I think it has a good chance to fly the Latvian flag in Baku. Its super unique and cool, with just a hint of country beat. Fantastic melody, great chorus and just a fantastic build. Love. Love. Love. This was the first Latvian song I listened to on repeat for hours! 10 Points out of !0.

My predictions –
I think the songs with the strongest chances of getting through are “Stars Are My Family”, “You Are A Star” and “Beautiful Song”. Before viewing the performances, I think that “You Are A Star” and “Stars Are My Family” stand the best chance of winning the Televote. I also think that “Stars Are My Family” might be the jury’s favorite, just because it’s so cool and different. I think “Music Thief” might get a spot because of the Televoters, but I’m not sure that its quirkiness will be enough to push it into one of the top 3 Spots. Jury wise, I’m a bit stumped. I think the two songs that might need the juries to get through are “For Father” and “Beautiful Song”. They are both strong ballads, and if the jury isn’t there to put through great ballads that the Televoters might fail to notice, what’s the point? I hope that “Get It Started’ also gets a spot, which I’m sure the Televoters would have to get it, but it wouldn’t be surprised if it was left behind in this SF. I’d be most surprised if “Wanna Be With You” and/or “She’s A Queen” got through just because they are so similar and go back to back, which might cancel each other out. “Sweet For Me” might get through either by the Jury or the Televote, but that’s up in the air for me.

All in all, my prediction is:
“Sweet For Me” – Jury
“For Father” – Jury
“Beautiful Song” – Televote
“You Are A Star” – Televote
“Stars Are My Family” - Televote

My Contest –

To select my 5 Advancing Songs, I used the actual NF format (i.e. the “Televote” selecting 3 Finalists and the “Expert” Jury selecting 2 Finalists), with a few tweaks. First, as my “’Expert’ Jury” Vote, I listened to all 10 songs at least 5 times and ranked them from 1st to 10th. Second, as my “Televote”, I listened to all the Songs and awarded “Televotes”. The top 3 Songs from my “Televote” and the top 2 highest scoring non – advancing songs from my “’Expert’ Jury” Vote advanced.

Voting –
Number
Title
Jury Place
Televote
Tele Place
Q?
01.
Sweet For
6th
23 185
5th

02.
Better World
10th
05 298
10th

03.
Get It Started
4th
27 934
4th
J
04.
Beautiful Song
3rd
35 761
2nd
T
05.
Wanna Be
9th
14 916
8th

06.
She’s A Queen
7th
12 577
9th

07.
For Father
5th
19 013
6th
J
08.
You Are A Star
2nd
31 768
3rd
T
09.
Music Thief
8th
19 194
7th

10.
Stars Are My
1st
39 571
1st
T

No comments:

Post a Comment